Terrain Shader Problem

Node-based Shader Editor

Terrain Shader Problem

Postby Hellwalker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Hey!
I downloaded newest version of Amplify form asset store and saw the Simple Terrain Shader sample. I wanted to make custom version of it with toon effects, but I encountered one problem that happens both with Simple Terrain Shader and my custom edit.

Basically the terrain has this parameter
"Base Map Distance The maximum distance at which terrain textures will be displayed at full resolution. Beyond this distance, a lower resolution composite image will be used for efficiency."
So from what I understand the terrain splat map is calculated differently based on this distance.
In simple terrain shader, if I zoom out of this distance all the custom metalic effects etc turn off and simple version of textures is displayed.
In my custom shader if I zoom into this distance, the shader is broken but zoomed out version works correctly.

Here is the video showing what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr6-IxGFLdE

I looked at all three simple terrain shaders, and I can't find how this switching between two version of splat happens, and how to target both of them.

Any tips or ideas would be welcome, thanks!
Hellwalker

Re: Terrain Shader Problem

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Hellwalker wrote:Hey!
I downloaded newest version of Amplify form asset store and saw the Simple Terrain Shader sample. I wanted to make custom version of it with toon effects, but I encountered one problem that happens both with Simple Terrain Shader and my custom edit.

Basically the terrain has this parameter
"Base Map Distance The maximum distance at which terrain textures will be displayed at full resolution. Beyond this distance, a lower resolution composite image will be used for efficiency."
So from what I understand the terrain splat map is calculated differently based on this distance.
In simple terrain shader, if I zoom out of this distance all the custom metalic effects etc turn off and simple version of textures is displayed.
In my custom shader if I zoom into this distance, the shader is broken but zoomed out version works correctly.

Here is the video showing what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr6-IxGFLdE

I looked at all three simple terrain shaders, and I can't find how this switching between two version of splat happens, and how to target both of them.

Any tips or ideas would be welcome, thanks!

Hey there,

Any chance you can send us your shader for further examination?

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Shader Editor